Friday, January 09, 2009

Farewell 2008, Welcome 2009!

I am officially bidding goodbye to 2008. At the beginning of the year I would have never imagined my year would have turned out the way it had. I was still mourning the loss of my Aunt when I soon lost her Mother, my Grandmother, in only a few short weeks to cancer. I had to face another hard reality when I heard Dad and Cancer in the same sentence yet again. I also lost a perfect little niece after just a few short weeks of life...once again to cancer. I felt as though, one more loss, one step in the wrong direction was just going to make my heart explode into million pieces. I hope to never relive 2008 however I hope to never forget the blessings that came with it as well....

However difficult my past year has been, I cannot forget the good. Yes my Grandma passed away, however I was given the gift of "goodbye" with her; a treasure that most people are not lucky enough to receive. I saw my Grandmother completely different in those last few weeks; her wisdom poured out of her like a gift she knew I was so eagerly waiting to open. She shared stories, memories, taught me unforgettable life lessons, loved me like only a Grandma can, and taught me to laugh until the very end. Yes my father got cancer, but he also survived cancer, he fought cancer, his spirit was changed by cancer. His cancer reminded me how much I love each and every one of my family members and how blessed I am to have them. I was reminded that my Dad, my childhood hero was still and always will be that big, strong, man that I have forever looked up too. And although I also lost my niece last year, I gained her as well. I thank God I was able to meet that little angel and spend the time with her that I was blessed with. I am so thankful that she was so special to Jesus that He wanted us to meet her as well. I can just imagine how proud He was when Kiya was created, I see Him as a giddy child that just couldn't keep that little bundle of love all to himself, I am eternally gratefully that He blessed me with the gift of my niece who I will have to forever treasure in my heart.

2008 allowed me to search for myself more and fall even deeper in love with me. I took time off to enjoy myself and my life again, my sister Christa gave birth to my first nephew Maverick, I was swept off my feet and wrapped in love by an amazing man, I went on five different adventures around the world, I moved into a new house and began to make it my home, I fell in love with art again which reignited passion within myself. I had been blessed and I am thankful that God was gracious enough to give me the gifts that made me smile when I look back on my year.

I am eagerly welcoming 2009 for so many reasons. I am turning over a new leaf. This year I will smile more, I will enjoy myself and my world to a greater degree, I will challenge myself to new adventures, I will show more people my art, I will step out of my boundaries, I will try something new, I will be vulnerable, I will spend more time with God, I will relax, I will taste something foreign, I will set goals and keep them, I will be more positive, I will shave my legs more often, I will chip down my wall, I will meet new people, I will love deeper, I will work on freeing myself of my past, I will laugh more often. I will....

This blog is an opportunity for me to journal my adventures of 2009. I will share my ups (and possibly even my downs), I will log where I go, what new opportunities I arrive upon, and what makes my soul sing. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Great 1st blog, I'll be sure to read each one of them and encourage you as you walk onward into 2009 with huge anticipation. Much success in all your adventures and journeys. Mom

Anonymous said...

You will not only be fine, you will grow, love, and contniue to cause excitment and joy where ever you go. Be safe and careful in this big world and always ask yourself "I'm I in conrol right now" Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mom and Dad. And dont worry Dad, just remember, Im always the one in control, lol!

Anonymous said...

WOW!A truly powerful blog. I've known you for many years and although we have not been in touch these last few years as often as we should have been, I know that you were, you are and you will continue to be the strong,intelligent,beautiful,caringcreative....well the list goes on and I know that I don't have to tell you any of this.

My sincerest condolences to the loss that you and your family have endured this past year. 2009 is a brand new year. Not to ever forget those you lost but to smile longer,laugh harder and enjoy looking back at all of the good times both with your family and the events which took place in 2008I wish you happiness and success.Hopefully we will see each other soon.

Cheryl Quist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl Quist said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I'm looking forward to reading your blog and keeping up with you this way.
I'm hoping you'll take photos of your art... no excuses now with that great new camera! I hope to see those photos here on your blog.
I hope 2009 is filled with healing, peace, and calm.
And what's with all the anon posters here? Is there a reason for that, perhaps some security issue I don't know about? Hope not...