Thursday, October 01, 2009

Bright, shinny, and new...







Ive never really been one of those people who always thinks “time is flying by” but man oh man is it ever lately. I cannot believe I have already been in Thailand for a month and I surely cant believe that I have been traveling for five months now. Life is escaping me…just the way I like it!

Thailand has been treating me wonderful as always (I think ive been here long enough to say that). This week Juan and I did a bit of venturing to the nearby towns and had a lot of fun. I can never decide what I like more, sitting still and not doing a thing, or hitting the road and filling my eyes with new sights. Our first stop was a small town called Ayuthaya which was really nice. We rented bikes and drove around town stopping here or there to visit some of the local sights but mostly just peddling around town enjoying ourselves. We were able to see some gorgeous temples and ruins and even managed to sneak our broke-ass little selves into one, while successfully escaping before the Budda Gods (or guards) captured us. Especially after being in Bangkok for so long it is really nice to get to the smaller towns and smell fresh air, or not be forced to take confusing transportation for hours on end.

After Ayuthaya we headed to Lop Buri which was also a nice little town. Lop Buri was really cute but very small, we were able to walk to the town in a day and see almost the whole place. Lop Buri is known for being the town of monkeys; the whole place is littered with hundreds of them. Ive seen lots of monkeys before, especially in India but this was a whole new level. Monkeys were crawling all over the vehicles, lined on every building, covering the streets and flooding the temples. I even had the traumatic experience of being attacked by monkeys! I was out enjoying a lovely morning breakfast which happened to be cotton candy (HEY im not judging you, so dont judge me) and I gracefully went to share my snack with the cute little guys when the darn buggers jumped all over me and snatched the bag right from my hands. I think it was four or five that jumped up on me; they were swinging from my purse, pulling on my clothes, jumping on my head…it was crazy! Being attacked by monkeys is insane…do you know what goes through your head when a half a dozen miniature creatures are swinging around on your body?? I panicked a little (or a lot), screamed a touch, and had nightmare s that night where I heard my Mom yelling at me about all the nasty diseases monkeys carry. Regardless it was hilarious and like nothing ive experienced, im not sure if it made me fall in love with monkeys more, or fear for my life when I see them next.

I had a few other new experiences during that trip that made me smile when I thought about the beautifully embarrassing life I was raised with. I showered for the first time bucket style. In Thailand many of the homes don’t have running water so they fill giant tubs of water and you stand in the middle of the bathroom filling up little pails and dumping them on yourself. Now this was new to me and I seriously wish I had it on camera. I was in there all by myself laughing up a storm, I was of course thinking of my Mom hysterically laughing (as I always do in situations like that) and wondering what the heck I looked like as I am pretty sure I looked something very similar to a dog drowning in water, it was funny business. Before my lovely shower I used the toilet; I was told by my CS host it worked so I was a little confused when I couldn’t find the flush thing-a-ma-jig. Now its always slightly embarrassing when you go to a new country and don’t know how to use things that are so simple to them. Like in Spain, I froze my butt off in the shower forever before I was introduced to some magic little box that you light with a match then wait for a couple hours and volla there is heat. So anyway, after hanging my head in shame I finally asked how to flush and it turns out you just need to pour water in the tank and it flushes by themselves. THIS IS BRILLIANT! Who knew? Well apparently that’s how they used to flush toilets (and sometimes still do) and lots of people know but I didn’t and it was pretty much the highlight of my trip. I think just for kicks Ill do that in my next house. Anyway, I think that’s all for discoveries this week. Once again, im not sure if this new knowledge makes me feel really smart or really stupid but either way it was new, and I like new especially when it makes me laugh my little butt off.

The day after tomorrow Juan and I leave for Cambodia. I will live there for a while, find work, and an apartment, and I am starting to get really excited. I hope I can find work right away; I want to work for so many reasons. I think it will be amazing and a really good experience to do my career in such a foreign place with so many different struggles then at home, I also want to work in a place that I am traveling in to see if it is the same feeling I get when I am in Canada, and I want to make some money so I don’t have to be so tight during my travels. Fingers crossed I will find work right away. Im not sure what working in Cambodia and settling down a bit there will look like for me. Right now I am planning on being home for Christmas but honestly that might be a bit early cause there is still so much here that I want to see and do and I am hoping to find work that I will fall in love with. Anyway, I have no idea what the future holds but I am hoping it stays bright, shinny, and new!

No comments: