Friday, October 23, 2009

Luck or hard work, potato or patato...

Alright, can someone please tell me why so many people want to try and make you feel guilty for traveling and enjoying life? Ever since I left I have had a fairly consistent flow of “wow your sooo lucky”, “well isn’t your life tough”, and a bunch more blah, blah, blahs. Do they really think that it was luck? Do they know that I did not just wake up one day with a large amount of cash in my bank that I actually had to earn money and be smart about saving it for many years. I don’t get it, why are people haters like that? I just want to scream back, yeah as a matter of fact my life IS freakin great, it’s a riot actually, I am indeed very lucky, and no life isn’t too hard right now actually its pretty much a breeze.

But I guess that would be a lie. I mean yeah my life is great by sure it comes with its struggles and sacrifices, it isn’t all roses. Tiffany always tells me for every no there is a yes, and to every yes there is a no. So yes I decided to travel but that also means I said no to settling into my own life and getting some sort of routine back (which believe it or not I do really desire). I also said no to saving money (like I have done very well at since I started earning a paycheck) and I said yes to spending my savings and watching my account drain out bit by bit. I said yes to meeting new people and making new friends but no to spending time with my best friends and family and even missing out on some pretty big events at home. So as with everyone in their life, my world does indeed include some sacrificing in many different areas to be where I am now, but it is what I have chosen for myself and I quite enjoy it.

The year before this came with a lot of struggles and pain…A LOT. So many people wrote me in support, uplifted me in prayer, and sent their wishes that things get better. I have realized throughout a few tough situations, life does NOT miraculously get better…ever. If you want life to get better, you need to MAKE life get better. You need to work on changing your attitude, work through your feelings, do things that uplift you, focus on yourself for a while…whatever it is that helps, you need to do it cause when life gets down, when bad things happen, they will not just fix themselves. Ive tried really hard to do that, to take what is negative in my world, to compile my pains and heal through them. Part of that process for me has been to be out on my own for a while, to have time to spend with my head and my heart without the distractions of everyday life or the influence of other people. I have decided to travel because it makes my heart sing, I have decided to see new things because it is important for me to not be stuck in a bubble, to get out and explore.

I guess my point is, luck is very rare. Its like saying “good luck” to someone before they write an exam. Its not luck, they either studied hard and learnt the content or they didn’t which means they will either pass or fail, no luck involved. My life is not luck. I have worked hard to be where I am. My wish is for all the people in my life to do the same, to take luck out of the equation and start working towards designing your life in order to make you happy. Whatever your passion, whatever your healing path, do it, take “luck” into your own hands a design a beautiful life for yourself…its worth it.

No comments: