Saturday, September 05, 2009

Finally in Thailand!

I have now spent a handful of hours in Thailand and I am already so in love with the place. How could I not be, an ice cream cone is ten cents?? Arriving here was a bit of a mess as neither Juan nor I had tickets leaving the country, which apparently is a must. After stress levels hitting the roof and hours of trying to find a way to buy a ticket without spending two hundred euros we finally found a solution and were allowed on the plane.

We arrived late afternoon and went straight to Bangkok to find a hostel and drop our bags. With all the action we have not seen much of the city or the country side but I already know from our short stint that I will love it. Right now we have a hostel in an area called Khaosan and it is so bloody great. The action does not stop around here. It is a perfect mix of locals and tourist (which is nice when you are settling in to such a foreign new place) with a great spark to the area. There is delicious cheap food every step you take, endless strips of market finds, clothes that stimulate your senses more than the freakin country itself, color in everything, and an ease to the air. Ahhh I love it.

So far I am not too sure of what the plan will be. It looks like Juan and I will travel around the country for a while to discover and see where each of us will land. He will choose his favorite place to stay for school, while I will find my favorite place and either start working or volunteering. First we will spend a few days in Bangkok exploring the city and trying to gather some information on this beautiful country we have landed in, after that who knows?

You know, before I got here I really started doubting myself….I hate it when I do that. My family is nervous about my travels and I have got a lot of “are you sure”, “I don’t have a good feeling about this”, “this isn’t safe” and it really started getting to my head. On my way through Italy I admit there was a moment where I thought, what the heck am I freakin doing, ill never be able to hack it on my own in a place like Thailand. But something happened when I got here, I got a huge waft of comfort the moment I stepped into the city. There are so many young girls traveling on their own and having the time of their lives, I wandered the city till late at night in a packed street and not once did I feel uncomfortable. I think instinct is a great tool and not once did my instinct tell me I shouldn’t be here; it felt good.

So….I am excited for this trip, very excited. I love when my eyes see new things but I love it when my spirit is blessed with experiences I could never get at home or anywhere else. I see myself in many different faucets in these next few months, and I am really anticipating where I will end up. But hey, who is thinking months down the road, I can hardly wait to crawl into bed and wake up to discover this city tomorrow.

Hope all is well at home!!

No comments: