Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It don't matter to the sun...


Another life passed on this week, another person defeated by Cancer.  That big scary word that seems to be such an epidemic in our world.  Another family mourns while we go about our lives without skipping a beat.  Two children will never have their Mom watch them get married, they will not proudly put together their parents slideshow for their twenty fifth wedding anniversary, they will watch their father crawl into a lonely bed at the end of every night, they will carry an endless ache on their hearts.  Life really is unfair.  


The concept of death is all consuming to me.  True finality.  I have learnt that death however tragic it is bares little to no weight on those in our lives.  Yes they are sorry for you, yes many would do what they could to ease your pain, but really it doesn't matter much, you become another prayer request on their list and soon enough they forget to keep praying.  However unhinged is sounds, I often sing in my head "it don't matter to the sun" when I think of a loved one that passed.  The reality is, it really doesn't.  Your world, your heart, your endless ache matters to you, at times it consumes you, you wonder how the rest of the world has kept pace, how they aren't deeply affected by the lose of a life they should have known.  But your lose (whatever it is) doesn't stop the world from turning, it doesn't make people weep the tears or carry the burden you know they would if only they had the chance.  


Death seems to make me want to learn about each and every unique person on this planet.  God has a plan for every life, every soul he creates, it seems unfair to let the beauty of His work pass by.  I want to get to know more people.  I want to learn about them and pick into their hearts.  I went to a small group last night (for my first time) and it made me see how many wonderful people I am missing out on.  I've always said quality over quantity but I am starting to change my tune, just a bit anyway.  Yes I want to treasure my good friends and make more time for them in my life, but I want to meet other people, experience their world.  I want to mourn the loses they face in their lives.  I want to hear the desires of their hearts and grieve the lose they face.  


I want to mourn for every being.  For every lose, every heartache, every tragedy the has struck the lives of six billion plus people.  It is time to cry.


1 comment:

Cheryl Quist said...

hi Jen... you've got such a heart of compassion and empathy. You'll be a great addition to that small group.