Friday, March 13, 2009

My first glassblowing experience...


For Christmas Tony bought me glassblowing classes at ACAD.  I was so excited!!  Not only was it something I have always wanted to do, it was also something I hadn't really talked about before and thus very thoughtful.  I think I am going to make a list of my most favorite things in life.  Thoughtful gifts or ideas will definitely have to be on the top.   


Yesterday was my first night at class and it was much more different than I envisioned.  One of the things I never even thought about was how HOT it would be.  From what I can remember there are two crucibles , four furnaces and five annealing ovens all in a fairly small room; I was certain I would pass out within the first hour and I think I came pretty close. I even had to leave to splash cold water on myself because I was burning up, I walked out of there with a bit of a "tan" on my face.  Rob says our bodies will adjust to the heat in time, Im not too sure of that.  


Thankfully our instructor is a great guy and really about hands on learning so we were gathering and shaping glass within the first half hour.  I suck at trying new things because I am way too competitive and quite frankly don't like doing anything Im not good at.  Its a goal of mine to work on so these classes will definitely help cause so far Im really no good.  Rob likened glassblowing to playing the guitar, anyone can pick up the instrument and strum but it wont sound good if you don't know what your doing and it takes A LOT of practice to get any good, even more to put the tunes you learn into a full song.  Essentially the words I dread.  I mean it makes sense, its the same with any form of art, I guess I just thought it would be a bit easier than it was.


Our first project was a paper weight, my initial reaction was "are you kidding me, arnt those like blobs of glass left over from some failed project".  I was really wrong, do you know how freaking hard those are to make?  I ended up making three, only one of which I kinda liked.  There are so many levels to something that thick, Rob showed us how to make one and his looked like a friggin bowling ball, mine was maybe pushing the size of a golf ball.  You do get the hang of it the more the class progresses so I am sure it is something I will pick up soon, in the mean time an attitude change may help.  Next week we are blowing glass for our first time so I am sure it will be interesting to see how I do (ill try and take some pictures to post).  


I love any kind of art really however unless it is something I have done or even tried, I can never fully appreciate every piece I see.  Last night I learnt to really respect any type of glass work.  It is so difficult to work with.  The glass is like honey when it is hot but it hardens within seconds, you have a very small time period to be moulding and shaping your piece.  The heat, the movements, letting go of imperfections, learning all the tools, it is all very new.  I am sure I will get used to it and surely I will feel more comfortable after seven weeks but as of now it is bloody difficult.  


Anyway, needless to say I am really loving the class.  I have not been in a structured art class since I was about twelve (I am still so grateful my Mom was persistent with me as a kid to try lots of different art classes) so this is a old-new thing for me and I am excited to be learning.  It has definitely inspired me to get into more classes and start pursuing different forms of art I am interested in rather than just poking along at them on my own.  I am so excited to keep learning in this class and to make something really stupendously special to show off by the end.  My house is fully of original pieces, some of which I have done, most done by others.  I love them all.  I love the randomness behind them, the work into every detail, the originality behind my crazy decorating, the stories behind everything I have made and even bought.  These next seven weeks I will be creating a story behind my piece of glass (whatever it is I decide to make), I am curious as to what it will mean to me by the end and I am so excited to find out. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The class sounds like fun. Could be like a sauna as a side benefit. You just need to dress for that, I guess.

Meanwhile, good luck with the donor matching. I saw a story about kidney donors and paying it forward. Your bone marrow donating should be handled the same way. If you are a match and can give to a person, a family member or friend needs to find someone they can donate to. And forward and forward and forward. There is this one live kidney chain that has never been broken and criss-crosses the USA that is just beautiful.

All the best.

Cheryl Quist said...

Hi Jen - I'm so excited to see what you create in this class.