Monday, December 07, 2009

Birthday Girl!

One year ago today the most magical thing I have ever experienced happened to me. On this very day last year I watched a child being brought into this world. It was simply the most amazing thing I have witnessed.

Last year Tiffany called me and said she was having some problems and needed to go to the hospital. Because she was so early (nearly two and a half months) they were doing what they could to not have to deliver sweet little Kiya quite yet. We sat there for hours just talking, waiting for some test results, and fooling around to lighten the air. Then out of the blue a nurse comes in, essentially tackles Tiffany to the hospital bed and says shes needs to deliver the baby now. Through all the confusion I just wanted to support Tiffany and I never even realized the power of what was happening at the time, I never realized the depth of what I was going to experience.

Tiffany said I could watch the labor so they put me in a little glass room and there I was left to watch the delivery take place. Still, I did not realize the depth of this moment in my life. I was anxious because at this time the blind was down and I just wanted to see Tiffany, the moment they put the blind up I saw the fear in her face and I wanted the blind down again, I didn’t know how to handle it all. That blind marked a pivotal moment for how I saw my sister. It was like the moment it was lifted I was looking into the eyes of a mother. I saw the fear of a mom, the joy of anticipation for her baby to be born, and the look of selflessness that only a mother can have.

It was strange. I was looking at my sister and that was all she was to me, just my sister. My baby sister with big ass glasses and huge front teeth, brave enough to jump out of the top floor window in our house because she trusted me, small enough to throw around, and dorkier than you could ever imagine. But then I blinked and magic happened. I opened my eyes and my little sister melted away, in a millisecond she became a mother, a beautiful woman who made a child and brought life into the world. LIFE people, can you comprehend how amazing that is?

And so, a year ago today I watched a child, my niece being born. I watched the tiniest little human being take her first breath of life. At about this time last year I was the crazy Auntie standing in the window taking a million pictures and unable to wipe the grin off my face. There are moments in life that forever change you and watching Kiya being born was one of those moments for me. To see a baby take their first breath of life, to see how life starts so small and ends so big, it was intense. It was by far the most beautiful gift I have ever received.

And with that my prayer for today is this…
Lord thank you so much for the gift of Kiya. Thank you for creating such a beautiful child to bless my sister with. Lord I pray for Tiffany and Kaleb today that You just wrap their hearts in Your hands and hold them so close to You. Help them to celebrate the life of their daughter today and to receive the gift of peace. Lord first birthdays are so special and I pray You make Kiyas an absolute delight. Spoil her like crazy with lots of hugs and kisses, send her all the love of her family today, and let her eat as many cupcakes as her little heart desires. Thank you so much Lord for all you blessed my family with a year ago today. Send Kiya my birthday love and let her know her Aunty is thinking of her lots. In Jesus name, Amen!

Happy Birthday Kiya Jade, Star belly Sneetch, today is your day baby girl!

1 comment:

Elaine Matson said...

Well said Jenelle.