Thursday, December 03, 2009

Fun times!

Written: November 24th 2009

How is it that less than two days after my last blog I am already eating my words?

Tonight I got my wallet stolen and let me tell you it was not fun. At first I panicked, went through my stuff again and again, after a short while I resorted to bawling my face off in the middle of the city center. I tried to ask people for help, to ask for the police, but nothing, dozens and dozens of people and no one spoke English. I get it, its CHINA seriously why would they speak English, I mean its not going to be long until all those English speaking people will be learning Chinese themselves, but come on, its so frustrating. With each person that responded to my one word questions with a blank response or a “hello” hoping that it would somehow prove they do indeed speak English my chin began to quiver and the tears opened like flood gates. My only solution became to sit on the steps and sob. It felt good at the time but within minutes I had a crowd of oh maybe twenty or thirty people surrounding me just to stare so I quickly got up and went back into action mode. Actually a few of them were laughing too; I don’t get what this whole laughing at people, in people’s faces is all about but I do not like it one bit.

So yes, here I am in a small town that doesn’t even have a western union. My wallet is gone, my ID cards, my visa, my cash, my debt card, my departure card which I need to leave the country, all of my memorabilia plane tickets of the last eight countries I have visited, a bunch of papers that were important, and a few bandaides (which might I add are freakin expensive here). Im stuck and so very frustrated!

You know the worst part, it was totally my fault. I wear a sling purse with no zipper so I always have it over my chest so it is tight, no one can get in, and I can see it at all times. I was in a rush, trying to order food and I left it over my shoulder which is prime time for pickins. Isnt it the worst when things like this happen and you know its your fault? You play it over and over in your head thinking you should have done this or that and why were you so stupid. Uhg I just keep kicking myself!

I went to the police and thankfully my CouchSurfing host came to meet up with me or nothing would have been accomplished there since they don’t speak English either. Basically they too laughed at me and said even if the money is gone people wont bother phoning in or returning an empty wallet. I am out of luck and they had no solutions to offer. On the upside they gave me a ride in the back of their car with the lights on, it was kinda cool.

The cool thing that happened was that in the midst of my frustration from the thief I was reminded how giving people are here. First, in my bawling fit a man who did not speak English approached me and signed to go with him to find a computer. He took me to an internet café so he could translate from Chinese to English “you look like you need help, what can I do”, it was so kind. He was the one who phoned the police and my host for me and got everything sorted out. He did not speak a word of English and still found a way to communicate with me to make sure I was alright. It was extremely kind. After I thanked him profusely he typed (translated) “yes I think I am very brave for what I did”. It was cute. It made me smile.

Also, I found someone who spoke English (or so she said) and asked her to write in Chinese a note that said “I lost my wallet, have you seen one”. It sounds stupid I know but my wallet was stolen at one stand and literally five stands down I realized it was gone so I had a short distance to cover and desperate times call for desperate measures. Anyway, I was showing people my note and everyone was handing me money, I mean dozens of people were pulling out their wallets and trying to give me anywhere from one yuan to twenty. I didn’t take it and soon found out that my note actually said “I have no money to get home, can you give me some”. I felt a little stupid when I found out but I also felt very overwhelmed and warm by how many people were willing to help out. I know for a fact that simply would not have happened at home and it was a good reminder of why I love other countries so much. I suppose everywhere you go there is always the “bad apple” but I am grateful that bad apple has not spoiled the bunch, at least not for me.

No comments: